Monday, May 17, 2004

I ain't ever been the barbie doll type

You know, people (namely, people of the female variety) always rant about equality and all that, but it's almost ridiculous how much girls still follow the gender stereotype. For example, take some of the girls in my advisory class:

Scene: Playing the get-to-know-you game "Two Truths and a Lie"

Linda: I've lived in this town my whole life. I love woodshop. And I've broken my collarbone.

Girls in Class: Woodshop? That's SUCH a lie! I HATE shop! No one likes that! etc.

Linda: ...I've never broken my collarbone.


Scene: Talking about spring break vacations

Beth: I went on a hike in the rainforest.

Linda: That's awesome!

Beth: No, it sucked. There were bugs everywhere, and my hair got all flat.

Linda: ...but you were hiking in the rainforest!

Beth: Too much walking.


Scene: Talking about Christmas break

Girl 1: I got a cell phone.

Girl 2: I got some make up.

Girl 3: I got some new outfits.

Linda: I got a multi tool

Class: ...


It's not like I don't consider myself feminine or girly to some extent. I wear make up, dress like a girl, and swoon over Johnny Depp with the best of them, but some girls make my head hurt.

Speaking of non-girly activities, I was awarded Most Valuable Team Player and second runner up for Super Techie Extraordinaire at this year's theatre banquet. Which I attribute mostly to the fact that Katie could only win one award. Nevertheless, it was cool.

14 school days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment