Sunday, April 17, 2005

I'm in the moment. The one where nothing matters, and everything's alright

Second entry in 36 hours. I can stop anytime I want.

Due to already apparent evidence, I've resigned myself to the fact that in some way, shape, or form I'm going to eventually morph into some strange combination of my parents. Considering that my parents seem to be in most ways polar opposites, I think the outcomes of my sister's and my climbs to adulthood are likely to be quite the lab experiment. Though in some ways I find this inevitable transformation alarming, I've decided to compile a list of the positive things that might come out of it:

From my mom:

- General intelligence

- An appreciation for living for the moment

- Laid-back attitude

- Regarding life with a quirky outlook and a grain of salt

- The ability to roll with the punches

- Admittance of past mistakes and the ensuing learning experiences

From my dad:

- Ultra intelligence

- Rationality and the ability to obtain a removed perspective

- Unconditional and expressed support

- An insatiable desire to expand intelligence

- Faith

- The ability to truly listen and give educated advice

Characteristics I possess that I can already attribute to one or both of my parents:

- The inability to provide a concise, direct answer to anything

- Affinity for computers and other similarly nerdy things

- Nitpicky-ness

- The habit of sticking in unnecessarily large, though appropriate, vocabulary words into everyday conversation (which, though a positive thing from a literary standpoint, I believe occasionally just makes me seem like I'm trying to sound smarter than YOU)

- General emotional detachment

Incidentally, is anyone else sincerely put out when they witness adults exhibiting childlike or somehow immature behavior? I have these grand illusions that by the time I reach 30 all my melodramatic teeny bopper impulses will diminish with my eyesight, hearing, and bone density. Occasional reaffirmations that adults are fallible humans, too, somehow makes me lose that much faith in the aging process.

No comments:

Post a Comment