A combination of my various internet pursuits and boredom over the years has brought me to quite a few blog and online diary sites, and I'd have to say in over 80% of them, when a category for "occupation" is present, "artist" will be listed. Besides the fact that, strictly speaking, the word "occupation" suggests payment for services and I doubt many of them actually receive fundage for art, I'm baffled that so many people would consider themselves artists.
To me, "artist" is almost a presumptuous term. A child who glues dry noodles to a piece of paper doesn't create art, he creates a noodly piece of paper and probably a mess. He didn't have any thought or meaning behind it, any experience or technique, etc. Similarly, even though I draw and paint (granted with a little more skill than your average preschooler), I do not consider myself nor ever refer to myself as an artist. The paintings and drawings I make aren't significant works, and usually don't have any structured aforethought, though I could probably make up something pretty elaborate and profound-sounding after the fact. Claiming to be an artist, in my mind, presents the impression that you A) regularly spend a good portion of your time creating some form of fine art, B) have some sort of theme, substance, or personal style, and C) are successful and talented in communicating those ideas.
But wait, doesn't that mean that you have to be good at art to be an artist? Yes. Doesn't that mean you have to be dedicated and know what you're doing? Yes. Not many people are artists.
So next time you're tempted by the allure of the artist's original, brooding, deep, misunderstood genius stereotyped persona to fill in that little bubble, stop yourself and ask the following simple question: Is a more suitable option present? Are you truly a God gifted artist, or would perhaps "student" be more appropriate? Choose wisely.
No comments:
Post a Comment