Wednesday, April 27, 2005

This is the truth, the only time you'll hear it

I've been going on a lot of rants lately, but you're just going to have to deal with another. Désolé.

So, being the vaguely introverted, sarcastic, pseudo-nerdy person that I am, I get occasionally jealous of those extroverted, preppy, bubbly, frilly types of girls who generally get a lot of attention. I'm no attention whore, but I am a girl, and these things happen.

Since we're in hell week right now, there's a lot of those types of females running around in the form of actors and dancers, and watching them, I've come to the conclusion that I could probably fake that kind of girly extroversion if I tried hard enough. Which makes me wonder how many of those girls put on a bit of a show themselves, to some extent, because they know it'll get them attention from, say, the opposite sex. As irksome as it is, dumbing yourself down, acting cutesy, laughing frequently, etc can, and often does, work.

Really, the more I thought about it, the more solidified I became in that I don't think I ever even really considered compromising myself like that as an option. And not because I think I'm fantastically, mind-blowingly amazing or anything. If you think of social interaction as a game, changing yourself for the sake of others is like rigging the World Series (Damn Yankees plug!). You might be able to claim victory, but who cares when you had to sell your soul to do it? If I attracted someone by feminine ploys alone, I'd be at least curious to find out if the object of my alterations would still have interest in Linda sans charade.

So, I guess even though a part of me wishes I was a little more stereotypically charming, I'm not about to change myself to do it. Everyone's just going to have to deal with stoicism, practicality, and the occasional English lesson if they want to love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment